The Office Online team is pleased to release our latest update to Office Online Server (OOS). OOS empowers organizations to view, edit, and create documents in the browser with Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote from their own datacenter. Please verify that you have the latest version of the OOS release to ensure the best experience.
The November 2017 update of OOS includes the following improvements:
- Improved booting performance in PowerPoint Online editing scenarios
- Enhanced transitions in PowerPoint Online
- Improved Find functionality in Excel Online
- Document format conversion from xls to xlsx supported in Excel Online
- Emoji support in Word Online
- Increased table capabilities in Word Online
- Insert image from host in Word Online
- Doubled the time limit for audio recordings in OneNote Online
- Accessibility & usability improvements across all applications
- Many more improvements + bug fixes across all applications
How do I get OOS/download the update?
We encourage OOS customers to download the November 2017 release, as only the latest version will be supported with bug fixes and security patches available from the Microsoft Updates Download Center. You must uninstall the previous version of OOS to install this release.
With the exception of those who have access through the Open Program, Volume Licensing customers with a Volume Licensing account can download at no cost and will have view-only functionality which includes PowerPoint sharing in Skype for Business. Customers that require document creation, edit and save functionality in OOS need to have an on-premises Office Suite license with Software Assurance or an Office 365 ProPlus subscription. To download the latest update of OOS, please proceed to the Volume License Servicing Center. Office Online Server is a component of Office; therefore, it will be shown under each of the Office product pages including Office Standard 2016, Office Professional Plus 2016, and Office 2016 for Mac Standard. For more information on licensing requirements, please refer to our product terms.
For customers whose licenses qualify for OOS, but cannot obtain OOS through the Volume Licensing Services Center, the following actions are possible:
- VL Open customers can contact their Support Center.
- Direct customers can submit a request from their Office 365 admin center or contact support.